Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Snake season

One thing I dislike about living in the country is there are alot of snakes, most of which we don't see thankfully!  However, today they have been out and about which I have NOT liked!

This morning, we saw this little guy on our driveway.  Karis yells at me while hanging her head over him, "MOM!  Come look at this snake!  It's alive and it's tongue is sticking out at me!"  So I come thinking, it must be half dead or something.  OH NO!  REALLY ALIVE!  I scream, "GET BACK!!!"  Then I snapped a picture and off he slithers!  It was small, but not so sure it wasn't a copperhead?!?!  AAAHHHHHHH!




Then this afternoon the kids were out jumping on the trampoline when they come in screaming, "MOM!!! There is a HUGE snake and I mean HUGE!" So on my way out the door I grab my camera, of course, as I run out the door.  If I can't kill it, I at least want to know what kind it is!  The big shed was locked so I couldn't get inside to get a shovel, so I put my big panties on and starting beating it with a bat!  It coiled up and started hissing at me, mouth wide open.  I surrendered!

Then he found a hole in the side of the shed and escaped.  EEEWWWWWW!  Mr. Joe, our new friend that works on the grounds has been looking for it but hasn't found it yet.  Hopefully at least I injured him and he will die in that hole!
Photos courtesy of Karis as I beat the snake.  Like momma, like daughter!
I will probably be a snake pro by the end of the summer! 
Or maybe not...but I sure will have a lot of pictures of them!!!

Here are some links to other snakes we have found on our property in the past 5+ years we have lived here...pet grass snake here, another dead one found just 2 weeks ago here,  5 ft. snake here, and this rattlesnake and water moccasin...



No comments:

Post a Comment