Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Rough Mommy day

Brutal honest here....just a warning.

Today has been one of those days.  One of those hard mommy days where everything goes wrong, everybody is fussy, mommy's patience is very thin and sanity is out the door.  Please tell me I'm not alone here.  I may be the crazy one but just to be honest, not every day goes as planned, is right on "schedule" and everything is happy all day long.

Today was one of those.

Being a mommy and wife is hard sometimes.  I believe it is the most selfless job on the planet.  You give, give, give and do, do, do all for your family and work behind the scenes and sometimes your work goes unnoticed, unappreciated and even rejected.  There are days that are wonderful and there are days that are down right overwhelming.

Lucy was fussy ALL day, Brayden was needy, I was trying to pick up after all the kiddos, cook dinner, do laundry (and all the other daily duties) and had NO motivation. I will say that I am one who is usually highly motivated to complete my "to do" and even sometimes in record time (I get it from my mom) and rarely will admit I can't do it all on my own or that I need help.  However, I was NOT motivated today and each and every task took all of me to complete it.  My patience was thin and my to do list was growing by the minute.  I had Christmas cards to get out, shopping to do, gifts to wrap and had to go to the grocery.  I SOOO didn't want to cook dinner but I sucked it up, put my big girl panties on and forced myself to "come up with something."  I had it ready and then Jay calls and says he is going to work late at the office (in his defense he had NO idea how hard my day had been) and then I was just sad.  Being the sweet husband that he is decided I needed help and came home instead.

As we sat down at the table, I won't mention which child, but one of my children said "Blah!" and quickly spit at the food I had prepared.  I. LOST. IT.

I don't claim to be a good cook but I do try.  Because I am not a good cook, it takes effort to plan meals, go to the grocery, prep meals and actually execute them.  It doesn't come natural to me.

I had to go and cry a river for a few minutes, regain my composure and then I felt better.  It had just been one of THOSE days.

Now let me say that I know these are all little issues.  I recognize life could be harder and it is for some.  I am thankful for my children and am thankful for the good days and the bad.  I just wanted to be honest for a moment and let you know that we are human and we have bad days.  I am thankful God's mercies are new every morning and that He allows us "do-overs!"  Because I needed one.

Then I was reminded of how precious life is when I heard about my friend Jennifer's aunt passing and a 20 month old that died in her sleep this week.  I needed God to remind me that serving my family is my God given role and instead of focusing on what isn't appreciated, I needed to continue serving regardless.  My children are a blessing and I am thankful for each of them.

Even if they spit at my food.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment