Thursday, December 27, 2012

2013 Bible reading options

I have had several people contact me in the last 2 weeks about options for Bible reading for 2013 so I thought I would blog about what I have done in the past and what I plan to do in 2013.  In September 2011, I started the One Year Chronological Bible in hopes that for the first time I could read the Bible in its entirety for the first time.  

In September 2012 I completed my goal and it was such an accomplishment in my life.  I will say at times it was hard and I got behind quite a bit, but I refused to quit.  I would get behind and then spend hours catching up many times.  However, I did it.  It was amazing to read the Bible not only in its entirety but to read it chronologically.  It made so much more sense and I read things that I had read 100 times but in context, puts a whole new spin on it.  



There is also a commentary/workbook written by a very Godly woman Iva May that goes along with the Bible that is wonderful.  She has read the Bible chronologically over 40 times and I learned so many things from her wisdom.  You can view her website and order the chronological devotional study at www.ivamay.com.



As of now, I have read the New Testament twice.  I learn best when I can write and highlight and mark all over my Bible.  I know people learn different ways and this just works for me.  However after going through the New Testament twice and using a different highlighter the second go-round, my Chronological Bible is starting to feel worn and torn.  I don't know if I have any more room to read it a third time.  

Change is good and a fresh start is sometimes needed.  So Jay and I decided to switch it up a bit and start something similar and new for 2013 and maybe alternate years.  We decided to do what David Platt is taking his church through called Read the Bible for Life.  There is a Chronological Bible that was compiled by George Guthrie, one of my professors at Union, as well as an "app for that."  
 
 It is compiled a week at a time, only 6 days a week to give you time to catch up.  And if you don't skip a day then you read it in 10 1/2 months. 




Here is the app that goes along with it....

You can choose your own reading plan.  I chose the One Year Chronological Reading Plan and titled in Bible in a Year.



 I am looking forward to fresh pages, a new plan and time in the Word.  I have learned so much since I started reading chronologically and I don't plan to do it only once.  God has taught me so much about Himself, how much I need Him, and simple truths about walking in the Spirit.

If you are thinking about starting this January 1st, here are some tidbits or words of wisdom I would share with you...
  1. Don't give up!  There will be times when it is super hard and to be honest parts are super boring.  But it's God's Word, inspired by the Holy Spirit and there are all there for a reason.  Don't skip any.  If you get behind, spend some time catching up.  You'll be glad.
  2. Protect your time.  Set a time each day that you are going to do your reading and do it.  Get up early (that is what works for me, may not be your best time).  My kids know when I am doing my Bible study, interruptions should be limited and only necessary.  I have explained to my children how important this time is for me and some of the time (ha!) they adhere to it.  
  3. Have someone hold you accountable.  Jay and I read it together starting January 1, 2012 and it was good to have someone to be accountable to and to talk it over with.  Also my friend MaryBeth and I started it at the same time and we would often talk about what we were reading, new things we came across and how crazy it was that what we were reading applied directly to something we had experienced.  If you need someone to hold you accountable, let me know and I can do that for you.
  4. Don't be afraid, just do it!  There are lots of New Years Resolutions you could make (exercise, eating healthy etc. and all of those are important too) but make one that is eternal and that will impact all other areas of your life.  No reason to be afraid, if I can do it, so can you.  You just have to be determined and follow through.
And if this is not your goal for 2013 I just encourage you to make time to spend in the Word every day, it is necessary.  Baby steps!

1 comment:

  1. Great post!
    I am excited about starting my new Chronological Bible this new year. I have actually been working on a similar post, not because anyone asked, but because it may be helpful to someone out there. Enjoy your new study!

    ReplyDelete