Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A scary day

Today started off as normal until I got the phone call.

Everett's mom and my friend Burchet called me and said, "Brayden just got stung on the playground and I just gave him his epi-pen."  A lot of the details were lost at that point I don't even remember what else she said, my heart was beating 1,000 beats a minute.  I do remember her saying he seemed fine and her asking what I wanted them to do (call an ambulance or not?) and since she said he seemed ok, I told them to give him Benadryl and just watch him.  However the nurse later said that once an epi-pen is given, they must leave either by ambulance or parent.  So Jay went to pick him up and brought him home for the remainder of the day.

Let me back up and give a little history.  Brayden does have allergies, quite a few of them, one of them being peanuts.  He has been stung once before and did not have a bad reaction but the doctor says it is usually the second time they will have a reaction.  So he gave us an epi-pen years ago as a precautionary measure.  He has never been anaphylactic before and has never given us any reason to believe he is so.  We just didn't know and with his history, it was likely he could/would be.

The teachers were concerned and didn't want it to get to that point so to be safe rather than sorry, they decided to give it to him on the spot.  Afterwards she said it wasn't swelling and he didn't cry when he got stung or when she gave him the epi-pen in his thigh.  One of the teachers mentioned that he was so very brave and the only time she saw him tear up was when they said he had to go home.  The only thing he complained about after that was the soreness in his leg from the epi-pen.  One thing he was so very proud of was all the loot he got from the "doctor" (school nurse) and the principal.  They gave him 2 stickers, a necklace, a Dr. Seuss writing tablet and pencil and a couple of suckers. :)


For the remainder of the day he got the special treatment from mom :) and extra cuddles!

SOOOO thankful my boy is ok and soooo thankful for such diligent and caring teachers, nurse, and principal who took care of him like he was their own in my absence!  Again so thankful when I can't be there, he is in God's hands and there is no place I would rather him be!

This was the picture he drew me of the wasp stinging his arm.  :(  At least he is still smiling.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment