Thursday, August 5, 2010

Karis' first day of Kindergarten!

Wow what a day!  I was a ball of nerves from the second I got up but Karis???  She was grinning the second she lifted her head up off the pillow and was dressed and downstairs in literally 2 minutes!  Today was the BIG day she had been waiting for all this time.  She was more than thrilled and I was thrilled to see her so excited!

Before we left for school...
            




I hate that this pic is blacked out but wanted to include it anyway.

All the way to school she was a little quiet and admitted that she was excited but a little afraid.  I had butterflies something terrible and felt like it was my first day of school!   But once we got into her room she put her backpack in her little cubby and immediately starting coloring.  We said our goodbyes and I knew that if I didn't get out of the room FAST I was going to be a snotty mess!  I had to bite my tongue so she wouldn't see me crying and made it out of the building before anyone declared me crazy!  



I stayed busy most of the day so I wouldn't think about it a few times when I did think about her, I got teary eyed and had to snap out of it.  I was beyond thrilled for her but I just missed her and it just hit me so hard she was growing up!  The boys and I made her some chocolate chip cookies for a snack when she came in and we all jumped for joy when we saw her pull up in the driveway.  It was like we hadn't seen her in a week!


I immediately starting asking her a million questions and got very few details.  I wanted to know everything and she just wasn't giving it to me!  I said, "Karis I am dying to know everything...tell me!"  Jay said, "Amanda she is probably exhausted!!!"  And I am sure she was.  It had been a tiring day for me so I know it was for her.

One funny thing I got out of her though was when I was asking her what her friends' names were and she said she made two friends but couldn't remember their names.  She told me one was a girl and then said, "I don't want to tell you the other one!" She finally told me she didn't want to tell me because it was  a BOY! She gets very embarrassed when people say she has a "boyfriend" so we explained to her that it was ok she was friends with a boy, that it didn't mean it was her "boyfriend."  

This was her homework about her first day of school...

The note I put in her lunch box.  I had to keep it to put in her memory box.

She got a "happy" note today.  Hopefully we will have lots of these!

She was so excited about going back tomorrow that she asked if she could hurry up and go to bed so she could wake up and go to school haha!  I hope she will always keep this enthusiasm!  :)

3 comments:

  1. so precious Amanda, what a sweet girl Karis is . I love the letters you and Jay wrote to her and it tickled me reading about her day. I remember when my nephew, Nathan started kindergarten last year. They do grow up so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you posted this....I was going ot text you today to see how went for her :) Glad Karis and mom did great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd just like to say it's really nice to hear of amazing parents like you and Jay these days. Your amazing devotion to your kids really shows and I must say those kids are really lucky to have y'all as parents :)

    ReplyDelete