Saturday, October 16, 2010

Fun family Saturday

Today was a wonderful day...the best Saturday we have had in a long while.  The morning started off with B's soccer game at 9:00 a.m.  It was a little early but I loved it because it got us going for the day and we were home way before lunch and had lots of time left in the day.  The weather couldn't have been more gorgeous!






My boy, the goalie (for a portion of the game anyway)...






Karis brought her coloring supplies as always...

Brayden and his buddy and teammate Brayden

We sat right behind the bench so when Brayden was "benched," he came and laid on our blanket.  I looked over next to me on the ground and this is what I saw...

Lucy and her daddy :)



Oh and today's funny Brayden moment was as he was running down the field (DURING the game) I heard Brayden tell his coach..."Hey coach, one time...when I was fishing with my daddy, I got the hook caught in my finger!"  I was laughing so hard!  I am sure his coach could care less and was wondering why in the world Brayden waited to tell him that in the middle of the game!!!  
--------------------------

For lunch/appetizer, I made a wonderful recipe that I found on this blog.  I wondered if it would really be good, but it was delicious!  Jay loved it and so did I!

Bistro Style Onion and Artichoke Galette 
Ingredients:
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp garlic and herb seasoning blend
1 refrigerated pie crust
1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
4 oz Gruyere cheese, shredded (1 cup)
1 jar (6 oz) marinated artichoke hearts, well drained, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup chopped well-drained fire-roasted red bell peppers (from 7.5 oz jar)
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme leaves (I used dried, it was fine)
1 egg white

Instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 375
  • In a 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in balsamic vinegar and seasoning blend, cook 3-6 minutes, stirring frequently until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat.
  • Either grease a cookie sheet with cooking spray, or line with parchment paper. Unroll the pie crust, and brush with Dijon mustard.
  • Sprinkle 2/3 cup cheese on the crust, leaving a 1 inch border. Spread onions over evenly. Add red peppers and artichoke hearts, sprinkle with red pepper flakes and thyme and top with remaining shredded cheese.
  • Fold up edges of dough, tucking as needed.Brush with egg white.
  • Bake 375 for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Let cool 15 minutes. Slice and serve!







It was so yummy!  The flavors all worked very well together and I will definitely make this one again.  It looked and sounded fancy but it really was fairly simple and tasted delicious!
-------------------------

Ok...so I have found my new best friend!!!  You probably won't guess what it is unless you are neat, clean freak nerd like me.  Anyway, it is the power washer!!!  We have had it for a while but have put it off because I knew it was one of those projects you couldn't leave half done.  So I was determined to do it this afternoon.  Check out the difference...this was a  section I left undone so you could see the difference.  AMAZING!  This was part of my driveway....(and yes, that's dirt).

It knocked up so much dirt my shoes needed a power washing of their own haha!

Meet my new best friend...

The kids rode bikes with Jay while I pressure washed and then the kids and I jumped on the trampoline for a long time...flips and all.  I will be sore tomorrow but it was fun!

Tonight we had Pioneer Woman's Roasted Vegetable Minestrone and it was yummy too.  We all had baths and showers, enjoyed some ice cream, I cleaned a little and now we are watching football...there were some great games today!  Arkansas vs. Auburn...wow.  State beating Florida...shocking.  Great ending to Kentucky game.  And those black bears coming on at 8 against Alabama...oh me.  Don't even get me started on the new mascot...em-bar-a-ssing!  Oh well let's go REBELS!

Overall, it was a wonderful Saturday.  Looking forward to church tomorrow! :)

1 comment: