Friday, March 2, 2012

Master bedroom re-do surprise!

I have been known to do a bunch of painting in my house (hey its a cheap way to change things up!) but our poor bedroom hasn't been painted since we moved in 6 years ago.  It is the color it was when we moved in which I wasn't fond of, but when it came around to painting, other things/rooms seemed more important at the time.  However last time Jay went to India back in September, I had planned to do a master bedroom surprise but if you remember correctly, all the kids ended up being sick the ENTIRE time and I just didn't have the motivation or the time.  So I have had this idea for months and have been planning on it when he went to India this time.

This was our bedroom before.  I had at one time had a different comforter and curtains to match but when we decided to go blue and brown I had to take down the curtains.  And since, the windows have been naked....sad I know.  And we had a pic above our bed but it fell and broke and I never put anything else up there.





I was on a roll and we dropped Jay off at noon last Monday and I already had our Queen size bed down and the room painted by the time we went to bed that night.  The next night I drove an hour to Garden Ridge (in a truck I wasn't familiar with with a trailer attached on the back WITH the 3 kids) to buy a new King sized bed (YES one of the wisest decisions ever...why hadn't we done this before?!?!).  Yea it was a scary night...I was so glad to finally be back at home when that was all said and done!  Thankfully my dad was willing to come to my house that night to help me set it up.  My dad is so awesome love him!






I had several ideas I had seen on Pinterest and wanted to try them out.  I had been looking for months for an old coffee table to turn into an ottoman and a recoverable chair at thrift stores and had found nothing but last weekend I happened to find both.  I was so excited!  

I got this old coffee table (falling apart literally) at a thrift store for $7.  It was missing the glass on top and the bottom portion was hanging to the ground.  I measured it and went into Lowes and had plywood cut to "fix" it so it was useable.  It was in rough shape but I had a vision and it had potential!  Yea me and the staple gun and the electrical drill became best friends by the end of all this!




I loved this chair I found at a thrift store for $10.  It needed painting and recovering but other than that was in great shape.


(after pics below)

And without further adeu (haha know you are waiting on pins and needles) my surprise to Jay when he returned from India!

My newly renovated master bedroom....

New king size bed and opted out of the footboard so the room wouldn't look smaller (and hubs is 6' 1" and has complained about feet hitting bottom of bed), new paint color (thanks Megan!), tall curtains, new blinds, wall decal, pillows we already had (I recovered them several years back), fairly new lamps, new bedspread from Tar-jay.

The flower pot in the above pic got at a thrift store for like $2....just painted it white. 


Karis made dad a card for when he got home and put it on his bedside table...

You might remember this "L" monogrammed piece from this post with before and after pics.  I did it in preparation for this room re-do.  The frames to the sides we already had I just repurposed them.

This frame we already had I just spray painted it black and put an updated pic in it.  My brother Jonathan says this old tv is the sore thumb in the room and it is!  Yea that will come later!  But funny story about this tv...I bought this myself for $200 when I was in the eighth grade from my babysitting money, soon followed by a $200 VCR also bought with babysitting money!  It is still growing strong!  It is 19 years old!

These are free printables I found off of Pinterest....

This jewelry holder you have also already seen, done in preparation for this room re-do.

Free printable off of Pinterest, love this.  You write on the glass with dry erase marker...so cool.

Ok so here is the chair after being painted and recovered....

And the table after being "fixed," painted, and recovered.  Coffee table to ottoman....


I love this wall decal I bought off of etsy....

And again so you can see the before and afters...

Table

Chair...

Room...

I'll take the AFTER!!!

Hubs was VERY surprised and thrilled with the new king size bed!!!  I think I got huge bonus points for this one (wink)! :)


2 comments:

  1. amanda that is so cozy! gotta love pinterest for the decorating ideas. you did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!! Where did you get the new comforter? Love the lines in it.

    ReplyDelete