Friday, March 2, 2012

Kitchen renovations

Our kitchen is finally finished and I am beyond pleased with the results.  And now that Jay is home all renovations are complete (other than a few little things) and hopefully our lives are back to normal.  The kitchen was a long process but now that it is over, I am so glad I did it.  It really needed it!

Let me begin by saying that we live in a parsonage (a house that is not ours, part of the job package) so I have been reluctant, slow and hesitant due to the circumstances.  But there are many things that are outdated and needed lots of TLC.  So I finally took the plunge, doing all the labor by myself (except the kitchen floor).

When we moved in, we had mauve countertops.  Yep that's right, mauve.  And the house is only 10 years old.  I don't get it.  And the floor had pink and blue in it.  And the cabinets, well look at them, they definitely needed some attention.  So when we moved in, the only color I could paint the walls was brown.  I mean, what color goes with mauve???  So a couple of years back we got a new countertop so now I could officially start lightening everything else up. 

This was our kitchen 2 weeks ago....(excuse the mess renovations had already started before I remembered to take pics)






Yea we have never moved out our refrigerator until this day.  I was TOTALLY grossed out!!!  This frig was here when we moved in and there hasn't been a need until I started painting and knew I had to move it.





Ahhh...much better.

I was dreading the kitchen cabinets more than anything.  I followed a tutorial off of Pinterest and did lots of serious researcing before I started.  They were not bad at all, really.  The biggest issue was just the kitchen being all out of order in the process.  The painting was really a breeze.  I will not be so intimidated next time I have to do it.



Cabinets and walls complete, now on to the floors...




New floors....

I installed new hardware....



It took 2 days to finish the floors and I LOVE our new kitchen! It looks so much brighter and bigger!




I made these really easy cornice board curtains (another idea from Pinterest) and they were really easy.  I went super cheap and even instead of using batting, I used old blankets we had here at the house.

Free printable...love this.

Ok so here are a few before and afters so you can see the difference...

Cabinets

Floors


And the whole kitchen...whatcha think?

Before

After

More renovation posts coming!

2 comments:

  1. Amanda, you did a great job. I love it, the whole kitchen looks beautiful and bright.

    The cabinets were just wood or laminated. My cabinets are gray but laminated and I want to change them, any advice for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks wonderful! I love the brightness of it all.
    I've been planning on doing cornice boards for AG's room for sometime. I had all of the stuff in my basket last week, but put it back. I might get on it now!
    You are going to love that bed!

    ReplyDelete