Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Baby Deer

It is nothing for us to see 15-20 deer at one time in my mom's yard.  They are domesticated or something and aren't bothered by people.  They can be in her front yard with us sitting on the porch and they don't mind us one bit.  Well Saturday my dad woke up at 7 a.m. and looked out his front porch to see a baby deer having just been born.  The mom was still licking it which meant it was less than a couple of hours old.  

I am no deer expert, but a friend said that baby deer don't have a scent for the first couple of days so the mom leaves the baby deer except to nurse so that the baby can gain strength and the coyotes won't "smell" the momma.  So while it "bed" down on her driveway and in her yard, they were able to pet and hold the deer.  Mom loves anything baby if you know her.  She was in hog deer heaven!





They had some video too but I couldn't get it to download before I left my moms and so they are still on her computer.  Maybe, just maybe,  she'll blog about it and include them. :)  Hint hint mom!

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness that's incredible!!! That would be awesome to see and hold!!!

    ReplyDelete