Monday, March 29, 2010

Experiencing God

For the past 4 weeks, Jay and I have been going through the Bible study Experiencing God with our small group.  God has used this study in my life in so many ways and it has become so applicable to my daily life.  It has answered many prayers in my personal life as well as things that Jay and I were praying through together.  It has altered my views of God and  how to truly do His will and how to truly experience Him in a real and personal way.  I have always thought that if you obey Him, then you ultimately experience Him.  I found out in my very first week that this is not the case.  
According to the study, you experience God in this order:

  1. God is always at work around you.  (Find where He is at work and JOIN HIM!)
  2. God pursues a continuing love relationship with you that is real and personal.  (We don't do the pursuing, HE PURSUES US.)
  3. God invites you to become involved with Him in His work.
  4. God speaks by the Holy Spirit through the Bible, prayer, circumstances, and the church to reveal Himself, His purposes and His ways. (Be alert to where He may be speaking to you because it may be ALL around you!)
  5. God's invitation for you to work with Him always leads you to a crisis of belief that REQUIRES FAITH AND ACTION.
  6. You MUST MAKE MAJOR ADJUSTMENTS IN YOUR LIFE TO JOIN GOD IN WHAT HE IS DOING.
  7. You come to know God by experience as YOU OBEY HIM,  and He accomplishes His work through you.


There is so much I could share about what this study has done in my life, but one of the most important things for you to know and realize is that YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH HIM is the most important part of knowing and doing God's will.  Without an intimate relationship with Him, you will miss what He wants to do in and through your life.  Something I have come to know and realize is that when God gives you instructions to obey Him, He never gives you the full plan.  He gives you the next step and when you obey that, He will give you the next one.  It requires that you step out on faith, even not knowing the hows, whens and wheres, and putting your "YES" on the table.  He requires of us obedience and He provides the rest.  As you follow Him one day at a time, one step at a time, He will keep you in the center of His will.  

I have always asked God, "What is your will for my life?"  This study is very clear that is a very selfish viewpoint.  Instead, we should ask, "God, what is your will?"  And whenever we find out what that is, join Him there.  His will is much bigger than me and He definitely doesn't need me, however because He is a kind and loving God and He desires a relationship with us, He gives us the PRIVILEGE of being involved with Him in His work.

I have heard this quote multiple times in the last several months and not sure where it came from but it's been so relevant to some things we have seeking God about and it continues to pop up in various ways.  It states, "The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not sustain you." WOW. If you remain in the center of His will, He promises to take care of you and provide along the way.  Again, he just wants our yes on the table.

If you truly desire to experience God, it requires that you die to your own selfish ambitions, wants, desires etc. and obey Him one step at a time.  An intimate relationship with Him is necessary and key to making that happen. Henry Blackaby says, "Everything in your Christian life, everything about knowing Him and experiencing Him, everything about knowing His will depends on the quality of your love relationship with God.  If that is not settled, nothing else in your life will be right."

Is your "YES" on the table?  If so, strap your seatbelt on and get ready for the ride of your life.

1 comment:

  1. Amanda,
    I love your blog. I came upon it by just clicking.."next blog". I just read your post. Have you read any of Dallas Willard's books? He, like Blackaby, are being used by God to get us to really examine the heart...where God examines. A friend recommended Dallas's Renovation of the Heart and WOW!!! Did it hit me and send me on a deeper journey. Isn't going deeper with God so incredible! Your post is awesome as is your blog. Thanks for sharing. I am a stay-at-home Mommy to four.
    Blessings,
    Beth Malarkey

    ReplyDelete