Thursday, May 31, 2012

Walk down memory lane

On Memorial Day, my great uncle passed away unexpectedly (my Granny's brother).  He was 69 and sitting in his recliner at home and my Aunt Marcelle heard him making noises from the other room and by the time she got in the next room, he was already unresponsive.  They think he might have had a massive heart attack which is exactly what happened to my grandmother at age 70.  

The kids didn't really know what to expect but did have alot of questions as you can imagine.  We answered them the best we could for little minds.  

So today we drove 2 1/2 hours away for the funeral and were able to see some family that we don't get to see very often.  We were ungrateful for the circumstance that we were seeing one another, but thankful that we did get to see each other!

I was sad my mom wasn't able to be there today at the funeral because she was on her way back from a mission trip to Guatemala and couldn't make it in time.  My dad did part of the funeral and did an amazing job!  I was so proud of him and my mom would have been too!  My Uncle Ralph and Aunt Marcelle were actually friends of my dads when he was at Union because they went to his church where he was youth minister.  They took him under their wing, let him drive their cars and even let him live there on the weekends and then eventually introduced him to their niece (my mom).  So they are special people to me because they are a big part of my parents history of where they began.  So these friends of my dads ended up being family the next year.




Since we are rarely in that area now that my grandparents have both passed, we drove down memory lane and I was able to show my kids where I used to come to my grandmother's house when I was their age.  We drove past several of their old houses and by the tombstone as well.  I do not go to graves very often and know that they are no longer there, it is just the burial.  Their spirits are with the Lord.  However, it was good to visit it for the first time in years and to show the kids.




Walking down memory lane today was hard at times because I wanted really bad to just sit and talk to my grandparents just one more time.  I miss them terribly and wish my kids/husband had gotten to meet my grandmother!  They were such wonderful people.  

No comments:

Post a Comment