Friday, November 27, 2009

Christmas Tree 2009

One of my favorite things to do with the kids is to put up the Christmas tree. It was always a tradition for my family growing up to decorate it together and it is something I always wanted to continue with my own family. It always brings tears to my eyes to see their excitement. If it were up to me I would put up the tree in October but Jay isn't quite fond of that idea. He makes fun every year that I put it up earlier and earlier but this time, to his surprise, I waited until after Thanksgiving!

This post might be boring to some of you but I wanted to be very specific about our tree this year so that someday I might look back and remember what it looked like when the kids were young. I know over the years things change, ornaments break, ornaments are added and trees break and are replaced.

Our tree was given to us the first year we were married by a couple from church, the Dungers. That year they just happened to be getting a new tree so they donated their old one to us, a newly married couple without a tree. There isn't a year that goes by that I don't think of that sweet couple and am thankful they contributed to our many Christmas memories.

The kids helping me decorate the tree...


You know how every tree has those basic filler ornaments that fill the tree and then there are those special, one occasion ornaments. The silver ornaments are all some fillers that I purchased at the after Christmas sales at Pottery Barn (Christmas tree and snowflake) and Oriental Trading (the glass balls). I have at least a dozen of all of them. The zebra came from our favorite mission trip together, Kenya, Africa in January 08.

The theme for my tree has remained snowflakes and snowmen with the primary colors being red, green and silver. This below were both gifts to us from some dear friends.

Brayden made this ornament below last Christmas and he is helping me put it on the tree...

The gingerbread roller was given to us by the Gradys in 2004. They were our neighbors in Seminary housing when we married. The ball was from our good friends the Tillmans in 2007.

Karis made this wreath ornament and the snowflake was one I purchased that first year at the after Christmas sales...

This ornament was given to us for Karis the year she was born and this is her first Christmas picture. She looks alot like Lucy don't you think?

More snowflakes...originals from 2003.

The bear was also from Karis' first Christmas and the ice cream cone was from a student one of my first years teaching.

The teacher ornament given to me my 1st year teaching by Kelsey Schwartz...still remember getting it. And Karis is putting her ornaments on...

The wedding girl was given to us by his sister in 2003 when we married. The silver ornament is one of my favorites but have no idea where it came from!

Last touches to the tree...


This is one of Jay's 2 contributions to decorating....putting the bow on top and bringing down the decorations from the attic!

This is obviously not all the ornaments but I just wanted to highlight some of our favs!

No comments:

Post a Comment