Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A night in the ER

Last night was not a restful night for our family to say the least. However today we are thankful to be back home and on the mend.

When Brayden woke up from his nap on Monday afternoon he was in one of his "moods" if you know what I mean and it seemed that maybe he just woke up too soon. But I soon knew it was more than that. You see when his allergies and asthma are bothering him, he is a different child. He was dry coughing almost constantly and we knew that he wasn't feeling well. I gave him a benadryl and by 8:00 that night he got a breathing treatment. By 10:00 he had another one (they are suppose to be every 4 hours and it had only been 2 at this point). I put him in his portable bed next to my bed so I could listen for him during the night. By 12:30 he needed another treatment and instantly afterwards I knew he wasn't better. I laid him back down but could tell he was worse. I listened for him the next hour and then by 1:30 I woke Jay up and we debated about what to do. After talking to Brayden's doctor, we decided to take him on in to the ER. Luckily my mom had come to spend the night and was here with the girls so Jay and I could both take him in. We got there by 2:30 and he was pitiful. He had 101 temp and was very lethargic and wheezing every breath. We were in a room within 15 minutes but the doctors didn't come in so quickly. Finally after a chest x-ray the doctor told us that he had pneumonia which was aggravating his asthma (which he had Dec. 20 of last year and missed my brother's wedding...same scenario). They started him on some steroids (yuck...we always dread these because they make him so mean), gave him a breathing treatment and an antibiotic for his pneumonia. Within an hour he was starting to get better as will tell from these pics. By 7:30 we were home from the hospital just in time for my babysitting kids to get to my house. COFFEE was my best friend and I made it through the day!

Oh and forgot to mention that the nurse offered him these popsicles and it was the only thing that made him happy....so he got FOUR of them! Needless to say we ended up buying some of these exact kind for home! His only complaint of the popsicles..."They're cold!!!!!" Imagine that!



Yes he started feeling better by this point and this breathing tube became his gun! Here he was shooting daddy with it and soon after was shooting the doctor and his nurse! By the time we left he was hanging around the door and shooting the people walking down the hallway! At that point we knew our Brayden was back! :)

We are happy to report he is better and hopefully we won't have any more trips to the ER anytime soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment