Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A year ago today....

A year ago today I woke up excited to go see my best friend.  We went through the morning routine, got in the car in a hurry and drove an hour to Millington so we wouldn't be late.  As I arrived, Amber and I caught up on the latest with our families, the kids, personal issues, our quiet times, finances, talked about old times and how time has changed things, their future in Ethiopia, our possible future overseas, recipes, and so much more.  I remember the moment when our kids were singing praise songs together as the kid's CD played while they colored, Ellie drinking coffee through a sippy cup and how I thought that was hilarious, Brayden getting into everything and crying as he went to sleep in the closet, Amber reading the girls a book while they cuddled up together in a bed together and their giggles as they tried to go to sleep, Amber and I eating yummy coffee cake she had made while we drank no other than Ethiopian coffee that was absolutely divine while we talked and talked some more....as the kids were napping.  Amber had made for lunch one of our favorites...tomato soup.  When we lived together one of our favorite things to eat was tomato soup and grilled cheeses and for all those memories, she had made it for us; however this time it didn't come out of a can...it was the "adult" version she called it and it was DELICIOUS!  I will never forget as she prayed over our meal she prayed and thanked God for His provisions, for His grace and mercy, for good friendships and how God had "sustained us for that day."  We enjoyed every minute of the 8 hours we spent together that day and we ended the day by stating that next time we wanted to get together with our guys, how it had been too long and how we missed seeing each other more.  We hugged several times and told each other we loved each other and said our goodbyes.

Little did I know that it would be my last.  My last to talk with my best friend face-to-face in this life.  I woke up the next day going about my business not knowing that later that day the Lord would take Amber home to spend eternity with HIM.  To be continued....

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a cliffhanger. I will definitely be back to find out more... I found your blog by way to the Christian Women Online blogroll, and I clicked your link becuase I liked your blog title. What a sweet story you tell of your friend.

    Blessings,
    Christi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa.. what a chilling and sad story! Is this the Amber that I know from Whitten ??

    ReplyDelete