Thursday, March 6, 2014

Friends, food and fellowship

We have learned to try lots of new foods since we have been here expanding our pallets.  I have a new favorite!  There are VERY few cereal choices (like we eat cheerios and that's about it) and of course no pork because it is a M*slim city which means no bacon or sausage poo!  So we have had to expand our breakfast options.  The locals eat yogurt almost every meal.  I found a wonderful chocolate and banana granola at one grocery store that I mix with yogurt and honey...it is soooo good I crave it!

Karis and her neighborhood buddies...

This sweet little girl lives in our apartment complex and is in Karis' class.  Almost every time she sees me and Karis, she says, "You are beautiful.  I love you.  You are beautiful.  I love you."  I think it is the only thing she knows how to say in English ha!

This is one of Karis' best friends.  She sits by her in class and lives in our neighborhood.  She is a beautiful girl!!!

Also the girl on the left is in Karis class and neighborhood too.  She comes over almost on a daily basis.

We stumbled upon this yarn store in walking distance and we have gone back several times.  Karis is my little crafter and the stuff there is really cheap so she has bought lots of ribbon and yarn for her and her little friends to play with.

Exploring a new restaurant...



I will give thanks to the Lord among the peoples;
I will sing praises to you among the nations.  
For your steadfast love is great to the heavens,
your faithfulness to the clouds.  
BE EXALTED O GOD IN A CITY WHERE FEW KNOW YOU!

Walking my boy to school (daily occurence at noon)...

I love getting special time with Lu throughout the day.  Next year she will go to local school!

Our neighbor friends came over one night for chai....


This is their older sister (age 12) Ezra...

Me and my friend Hafize...this woman makes me laugh constantly!

Lucy is my little helper in the kitchen.  Since I have to make most things from scratch here, I spend LOTS of time in the kitchen.

My first apple pie from scratch...wasn't the prettiest but it was delicious!

My kitchen looks like this most of the time...

Keepin' it real...a hot fudge cake I made that was a disaster.  It tasted good but I won't be sending this one to the neighbors ha!

Love this man!

Playground time with my Lu!

Local doner...about $1/sandwich.  It is Jay's new favorite lunch food.


This is our bus system but usually it is so crowded you can't even sit down nor breathe!



So we found out this is how you move out of a high rise apartment.  They don't want you using the elevators so they bring in these contraptions...


 Last week we went to our local pazaar and it was the ultimate farmers market.  And stuff here is so cheap!!!

 A little playground time before school one day....






 A little neighbor love!

This is my first local food that I made...borek!  One side had cheese and herbs and then other had sauteed potatoes and onions...delicious!  My language teacher Gul stayed one day and taught us how to make it!
  I am embracing my inner junior high making bracelets with Karis!

Two of our friends have birds and the kids love it.  



THIS is an after dinner snack/chai with neighbors...they go all out seriously.  Their hospitality puts Americans to shame!


Love my new spice jars!  We can't get alot of American spices but some we brought with us and some are local.  

 When I think of the detail of God's creation and how big it really is, seriously it is mind-blogging that He cares about the details of our lives.

 Goofy kiddos....


Thanks for hangin' with us and our crazy adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment