Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I DON'T, but I DO...

In my time with the Lord, I have been studying through the life of Christ as He journeyed through this Earth. I am learning so much about His life, the Jewish culture and why He did the things that He did. Having been to Israel twice (lots of posts here in April 2008), I have walked where He walked and seen the traditions/culture in action and KNOW that for Jews, Jesus permeated EVERYTHING they did. Judaism was not just a label to identify where they went to church, but it was a way of life for them that permeated every part of their life. Moses told the Israelites in Deuteronomy 6:4-9...
"4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. a]" style="line-height: 0.5em; ">[a] 5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. 7Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.

And I am sure that is exactly what the Israelites did...literally. Although because Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice I DON'T think we are required to follow the law anymore, I DO believe that Jesus still requires this of us, just not as literally as He meant here. I DO think He wants us to love Him with everything we have, everything we do and everything we are. I DO think He wants us to bind them on our hearts, impress them on our children, and talk about Him all throughout the day. I DON'T think He wants us to wear Bible verses on our foreheads but figuratively, I DO think He means that when people talk to us, they should see Jesus all over our countenance and our actions because we have been with Him. I DON'T think He requires that we write them on the doorframes of our house and our gate, but I DO think He means that His presence should permeate every room in our home. Although I might take that literally because I like the idea....

However, I have been challenged in this. I desire to please Him and love Him with everything I am.

I DON'T believe that you should take my word for it. I DO believe He can speak through His word to you too. Give Him a try...

No comments:

Post a Comment