Thursday, September 24, 2009

Cardboard stories

I just watched a video that had me in tears. For those of you that know Jay and I, you know that we would LOVE to be missionaries in Africa. Jay has been several times and he and I have been together in January 08 on short term mission trips. We prayed for a long time about possibly doing a 2 year ISC program and even completed most of the 3 step paperwork application (that usually takes a full year), but we had some financial hiccups along the way and we decided that it just wasn't God's timing for us...for now. I would not be surprised if we ended up there at some point, and yes, we would take all of our kids there...to Africa...without hesitation.

In fact, I would almost rather raise children in Africa than in America...but that is another story I won't get in to unless you ask.

One of our favorite things to do while in Africa was to talk to all the missionaries and hear their "stories" of how they ended up on the mission field, the ways they have seen God work miracles in their lives and how God has used them on the field. One thing is for certain...God uses ordinary folks. Like. Us. Growing up I always imagined missionaries to be perfect people with long skirts on every day of their life with Bible in hand. But most of them are just ordinary folks that were building a life in America until God totally changed the direction for them and they sold literally everything they have to move overseas...and every one we have talked to wouldn't change a thing.

This video hit home. Maybe it is just me. Isn't this what this life is all about??? Let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. Is that Amy Getzen in the video? It looked like her toward the end!

    ReplyDelete